Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2001 5.4 f150 bucks, makes noise. Didn't go into reverse

Customer Question

2001 5.4 f150 bucks, makes noise. Didn't go into reverse last I used it. I will not drive it again. Solenoid? TCM? It also wanted to brake when I was driving it. Then the Check engine light soon light went on and the light on the OD cut-out on the end of the shifter started flashing.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Shifter light blinks.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to fix it myself. Haven't done anything.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Is this going to cost me anything?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 12 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Nothing electrical can cause no reverse engagement.

Yes there is possible solenoid issues but not for the reverse concern.

This vehicle does not have a TCM.

Braking while driving means there are 2 clutches engaged at once, or there is a faulty one way clutch.

The flashing OD light is telling you there are codes stored.

Overhaul is 95% likely based on the symptoms you gave me.

If you can do diag prior to repairs and or plan to remove and overhaul the transmission. Can you do a line pressure test at idle in each gear and give me the pressure readings.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris