Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Have a mercedes 1963 220SE 4 speed automatic. but to shift

Customer Question

have a mercedes 1963 220SE 4 speed automatic. but to shift from 1st to 2nd it neds to get to 4000 rpm's and after that shifts normally to 3rd and 4th gear, it's that and adjustment I need to do, to make it shift early like 2000 rpm's?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Look at the transmission and see if you have any vacuum hoses connected to it and if so follow and check these hoses for cracks or breaks causing this fault here.If an issue is found it will need to be repaired to resolve this.If this is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it only has one metal line from the intake manniful which I assume is vaccum to a valve withe one bolt thru a nut for adjustment. I wondering if that adjustment will make it shift faster, the screw has a hole i the head for a small cable to a hole in the nut so you can adjust and tread a small cable on both of them to lock it in place so it don't became loose left or right. could this be the adjustment for that?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Unfortunately my info is not showing for sure if this is an adjustment or how to adjust it properly.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist with this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete