Randall
Randall, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs, Auto trans diagnostic and repair
13677702

FLUID HAS NOT BEEN CHANGE IN 170,000 MILES DOES IT HARM THE

Customer Question

FLUID HAS NOT BEEN CHANGE IN 170,000 MILES DOES IT HARM THE TRANS IF CHANGE
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: TRANSMISSION COLOR IS A LITTLE DARK
JA: What is the model/year of your transmissions?
Customer: ITS A 1995 DODGE P/U AND THE TRANS IS 14 YEARS OLD
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS DOES IT HARM THE TRANSMISSION IF I CHANGE THE FLUID IT HAS NOT BEEN CHANGE IN 170,OOO MILES
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Randall replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is a very good question and one hard to answer. In general? if fluid is still clear , clean etc ? changing does no harm BUT, if you have slightly dark and degraded fluid? you do in fact run a risk changing the fluid, Thus why many shops shy away from fluid change due to this as new fluid change can in fact and usually will cause a weak trans to go for the worst. Rule of thumb is generally if trans ok on current fluid? leave the old fluid alone. Now,, if you do NOt have slippage or trans shifting issues? I am going to say about 95% you will be just fine changing the fluid and no harm done,.This is all hard to explain but is about viscosity etc of ne fluid and old trans seals and more on. Its a ctahc 22 of sorts, If all ok right now? no shifting problems and slight discolored fluid? you should be just fine with fluid change, If you are chasing a trans problem suspected? I would say no, do NOt change the fluid adn you could make things worse. This is why most shops will NOT change fluid if shifting problem or darker fluid as we know and it becomes a liabilty issue. Hope this makes sense. Its your calo, if you meet the NO trans porblems and slightly dark fluid? go ahead and change it, If you Do have suspected issues? leave fluid alone and just top off till you can get to the root fix