sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

The transmission will not take a gear. Or reverse. After

Customer Question

The transmission will not take a gear. Or reverse. After shifting from park the car moves freely as if its in neutral.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Bright red
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 98 deville
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have pulled all the codes cleared the ecm pcm checked the fluid and pressures . Its come down to some sort of electronic issue we believe
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dont guess so
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there is no power being transmitted to the wheels it could be a failure inside the transmission or it could just be a broken CV joint. If a CV joint fails then it will prevent the trans from sending power to the wheels.

With the trans in park are you able to push the car or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
With the car in park it wont move at all.
It ran fine until one day going sown the road the engine light came on and the car went into safe mode after pulling over and restart it never has taken gear again. Never slipped, or anything just quit randomly.

Has the fluid level been checked?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ye sir, and its been completely full the whole time .
Also The car only has 59k miles on it.
That puzzles me to think a major issue.

If the CV shafts are intact (it locks in park) and the fluid is full then you without a doubt have an internal failure in the trans.

If you checked the fluid level with the engine off and then start the engine does the level drop substantially with it running? That would tell you if the pump is drawing fluid from the pan.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will have to check to make sure on that.
I was also thinking possible that the pump had failed, just wasnt sure the best way to check it

Unless the problem is simply a damaged filter then diagnosing and repairing issue is going to require removal and disassembly of the transmission.