Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

1998 Volvo s70. Transmission fluid hose separated from

Customer Question

1998 Volvo s70. Transmission fluid hose separated from radiator. Within approx 5 miles, car in gear, coasted to a stop. Transmission does not engage in any gear. Replacing fluid did not help. No transmission related fuses have failed. Did I trash the tranny.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: I replaced the lost fluid, thinking that would fix the problem. . Can't tell if the fluid that sprayed under the hood was dirty. Its bright red now.
JA: Are you fixing your S70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself so far. Car is still on the side of the highway. I reconnected the hose and replaced the lost fluid. Started the car and moved gear box through all positions. Engine revved but gears did not engage.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Loss of forward motion took place over a couple of miles. After walking home, found trail of fluid down the alley where I parked the car. There was no audible sound as the car gradually drifted to a stop. Drove the car yesterday without issue. I replaced the radiator about a month ago. The hose fitting from the tranny backed off after 1000 miles of driving.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 17 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So while it's very possible that the tranny is trashed. , it will set a code for the transmission if you lose all the fluid. So you need to scan it and clear all the codes, especially in the tranny module. if it still does not move after clearing the codes and the transmission will need to be replaced. Let me know if you have any questions.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 16 days ago.

Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.

Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.

Thanks
Sonny

Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 11 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny