Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Trans starts out in 2nd gear. I'm thinking possible

Customer Question

Trans starts out in 2nd gear. I'm thinking possible transmission pressure control solenoid
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 94 grand prix
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: trans was replaced with a low mile unit drives great other than starting out in second instead of first
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 22 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Is this only happening in drive? If you select 1st does it go into 1st or only second?I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
It's unlikely the epc as it would either shift hard or have trouble in 2nd as well. But it could be the 1/2 shift solenoid or the clutches.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Every other gear is fine
Which engine do you have
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
3.1 Liter V6
Ok give me a min to look up something
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
ok
Have you checked for codes at all?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Code 28 Transmission Range Switch Error
Sorry My data system crashed. Give me 20 or 30 min to get it back up. So I can look up a few more things. But it's looking more like your shift solenoid or clutch pack. How does it do in reverse?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Reverse is perfect also. Like I said. All gears are fine, it just starts in 2nd, so it feels like a slip. Code 28
Ok. Let me get my system back up
here is the test procedure for code 282. Test the transaxle range switch operation during the test drive.3. Test circuits at the TR switch. C1 7 cavity connector terminal B ignition power. C2 4 cavity connector terminal A Black/White wire A, terminal B Yellow wire B, terminal C Gray wire C, terminal D White wire P. Voltages should be B+ or 0.0 volts.4. Replace the transaxle range switch.What you should see on ea wire.Tech Tips: The transaxle range switch is mounted on the transmission on the shift shaft. The inputs should be:
A 12 volts in P, R, D, 2.
B 12 volts R, N, O.D., D.
C 12 volts O.D., D, 2, 1.
D/P 12 volts P, N, D, 1.Now with all that, I've seen that cause no shifts and no over drive or tcc lockup but not usually no 1st. But I'd start with testing it and replacing if needed
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 20 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 18 days ago.

do you still need help with this? did my advice help?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I haven't been able to check yet. I will report back once I do

ok sounds good. thanks