Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2001 s-10 transmission started to act up won't shift gears

Customer Question

2001 s-10 transmission started to act up won't shift gears speedometer stops working shut off truck restart works ok 2nd time this week
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: bright red
JA: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried anything yet almost sounds computer do these trucks use that
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 16 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry don't have easy access to a computer trans fluid is red not finding any metal and full. if I can I will fix myself. will know yes or no when I find the problem. the new to me computer stuff I don't know well. when tranny does its thing its almost like it goes into neutral, but I still have power to move forward but the engine revs up but does not make the truck go faster, no power to tranny. manually shifting does nothing. the speedometer shows no speed, rpm gauge still works.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 14 days ago.

Step one is to get the speedometer. That loss of signal an effect the way the transmission works, it can also damage the transmission. By the sounds of it reving up and barely moving but not gaining speeds. Sure sounds like there is already some clutch and band damage inside the transmission. Which would mean an overhaul is needed. Is the vehicle 4x4? what liter engine do you have? I need this info to look up diagrams on the speed signal.

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris