Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master,(L-1) Certified, Transmission Specialist
10114124

Transfer case shifts in and out of 4x4 by itself, no

Customer Question

Transfer case shifts in and out of 4x4 by itself
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaking, 150,000 miles. after it shifts into 4x4 it usually remains there although the dash 4x4 light may go on and ofrrf
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2005 ram 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has been to a Dodge dealer. They thought there was a short somewhere but couldnt locate it so wired in a "jumper" somewhere which solved the problem for a short while
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just pulled the 25 amp fuse to disable the shift motor. Are there any negative side effects other than the Service 4X4 light comes on which it does anyway ok
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Brad replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

What codes are setting in the TIPM?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don't know of any. All I know is that the 4x4 selector switch light will go to 4x4 even though the selector is still in 2wd. On the dash the 4x4 light comes and goes and sometimes the service 4wd indicator appears but not always. But, my wheels are locked in and very tight if I have to make tight turns.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I removed the 25 amp fuse to the transfer case shift motor
Expert:  Brad replied 20 days ago.

The TIPM which is the fuse box under the hood controls your 4WD and I would be glad to help but you will need to supply me with the codes it has before I will have an idea on what is going on.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Understood. The Dodge dealership that had the truck for 3 days said nothing of the codes, only that they thought there was a short "somewhere". Hence the jumper somewhere. That was in California. I am now in Florida working on a project. I'm going to just find a way to get by until I can get it somewhere that can give me a better analysis.
Expert:  Brad replied 20 days ago.

I could give you the correct information to repair the issue if I had the codes that were stored in the TIPM. The codes must have been a short to ground or short to voltage code but me nor you will have any idea unless we know the codes.. Can you call the dealership and get the codes it has off the repair order?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will try that. I've been trying to get the service manager to call me since last week.
Thanks
Expert:  Brad replied 20 days ago.

Ok let me know if you can get the code..

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Brad, I spoke with a service tech at the dealership. He looked at the file and no service codes were reported although it appears there were some. The only other notes were regarding a short somewhere in the harness through the firewall and stated "open to 2wd, 4wd, or motor". A bypass wire was then installed. At this point I guess I will go back to the old school way and begin by replacing the 4wd selector switch and see where that leads me.
Expert:  Brad replied 19 days ago.

I wouldn't replace anything until you can test and confirm it's faulty.. The first step will be to get the codes..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad