Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

The transmission is stuck in a lumbar mode to protect the

Customer Question

The transmission is stuck in a lumbar mode to protect the transmission the fluid was low we have re filled and flushed the trany but need to know how to get the transmission out of lumbar mode or shift lock mode it could be called??
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Yes we have fixed that also
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 honda crv awd
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well we were told it could be the linear solenoid needed to be took off and screen cleaned.we didn't see eny screen to clean when we took it off Our mechanic also said it could be a shifting sensor that causes the drive light to flash green and stuck in the lumbar mode we aren't sure exactly what sensor to replace
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the trany runs fine until the d4 light starts flashing then won't shift I can't go over 40 mph, it's went in and out of this lumbar mode each time the transmission runs perfect when the d4 light goes off
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks!

hey how are you

1-the da4 flashing just telling we have a trans malfunction , when the mechanic check it did he do a scan tcm module & retrieved fault codes what were they ?

2-did he use a Honda scanner or equivalent ?

3- with a Honda scanner you can clear the fault tcm module and reset parameters but if not available to you ,we can try a master rest

that will work if the tcm module was the issue and reset itself ,but we still needed scan if the fault did not clear and you stayed in limp mode

4- can you do this Solenoid ?

Shift Solenoid Valves Test

Please also review digarms i sent you ,press on the blue link it will open the picture for you

Remove the drain plug (A), and drain the automatic transmission fluid (ATF). 2. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer (B). 3. Place the transmission jack under the transmission, and lift it up to create clearance between the transmission and front sub-frame. 4. Disconnect the shift solenoid harness connector.

5. Remove the bolt (A) securing the bracket (B) of the AFT cooler inlet line (C) on the shift solenoid valve cover (D), and remove the line bolt (E) with sealing washers (F). 6. Remove the shift solenoid valve cover, gasket (G), and dowel pins (H).

7. Remove the bolt (A), and remove the shift solenoid harness connector (B). 8. Measure shift solenoid valves resistance between the shift solenoid harness connector terminals No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, No. 5 and body ground. Shift solenoid valve A: No. 5 terminal (BLU) Shift solenoid valve B: No. 2 terminal (ORN) Shift solenoid valve C: No. 1 terminal (GRN) Shift solenoid valve E: No. 3 terminal (RED) STANDARD: 12 - 25 Ohms 9. If the resistance is out of standard, disconnect the shift solenoid valve connector, and measure its resistance at the solenoid valve connector. Replace the shift solenoid valve if the resistance is out of standard. 10. Connect the battery positive terminal to the shift solenoid harness connector terminals, and connect the battery negative terminal to body ground individually. A clicking sound should be heard. 11. If no sound is heard, connect the battery positive terminal to the shift solenoid valve connector terminal, and check the clicking sound is heard. Replace the shift solenoid valve if no sound is heard. 12. Replace the solenoid harness if the tests results are OK. 13. Install the new O-ring on the shift solenoid harness connector, and install the connector in the transmission housing. 14. Install the shift solenoid valve cover with the new gasket and dowel pins. 15. Install the ATF cooler inlet line with the line bolt and the new sealing washers. Create clearance with the jack between the transmission and the front sub-frame to tighten the line bolt with the torque wrench. 16. Install the bracket of the ATF cooler inlet line on the shift solenoid valve cover with the bolt. 17. Check the connector for rust, dirt, or oil, then connect the connector securely. 18. Remove the transmission jack. 19. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid.

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks,My husband is going to try testing the solenoid when he gets off work today.I will let you.know what happens after.. I have a question when flushing the transmission, you just drain fluid then refill with atf drive It drain it refill it drive again then drain it refill with atf and flush is complete???? Is that correct??? Just want to make sure that's all the flush consisted of.
You are welcome
Sounds great
Yes you are correct on the fluid procedure :)
Let me know if need anything else
Chad

hey

Please don't forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated for our time

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry it's been a very long day. Finally have a minute after getting our children to sleep for the night ! To get the transmission out of limbo mode by resetting the computer can it be done with the average transmission shops computer or would it have to be flashed at Honda dealership?I'm asking because nothing so far has worked and a transmission shop said he could clear the computer with his for fourty dollars unless it has to be flashed he doesn't have the capability to flash it.

hey how are you

I understand about the children the bed, i got some myself:)

an average code reader $40 scanner can not reset the computer .

I don't have to be a Honda one , but it should have the Honda software in it to do that .

so usually these scanners are $1500 or more .

I would take it to dealer and get the diagnostic done and pay the $100 charge and this way you know for sure and you can do the work outside the dealership which will be cheaper ,so just use them for diagnostic

good luck with it

Chad

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician