Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

97 cadillac catera, where is the transmission control module

Customer Question

97 cadillac catera, where is the transmission control module located?
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: last week, transmission shifts great but when the tran light comes on (dashboard) will not shift correctly, i must manually shift through L - D1. But then the dash light goes off and the tranny shifts smooth. Was told the TCM (TCU) is bad???
JA: Are you fixing your Catera yourself? What have you tried so far? Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that yes, purchased a TCU off ebay, want to replace myself
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
i don't know where to find the transmission control module
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 26 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # to get the exact location with pictures to assist

thanks