Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

When making a sharp turn the gears change and sometimes drop

Customer Question

When making a sharp turn the gears change and sometimes drop out until I pull over and restart the engine. When i come to a sudden stop or start it will start off very slow and not go over 35 mph. . If I sit for a while and then start off or back up or if I make u turn it takes a few seconds to catch a gear.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: Yes but not all of the time . I took it to a garage and they checked the signal and didn't say that it mentioned the trany.
JA: What is the model/year of your transmissions?
Customer: The transmission is on a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything so far. Everyone that I have taken it to and the auto stores that I have gone to have all said that it sounds like it is low in fluid. I an very nervous about adding fluid. I have heard that too much would be worse than not enough.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Whenever I have a problem. I can cut it off and then cut it back on after about 10 sec. and it runs fine.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 25 days ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

it does sound as if you are low on fluid.

what engine do you have?

how many miles is on the jeep?

you say you had it checked,,,can you give me the trouble codes you got when it was scanned?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The engine is a 3.7. With 142k miles. I bought it with 98k 1 and a half years ago. I don't know what codes they got when they scanned. One mechanic said it was about the gas cap being bad.

ok

from the way you explain..it does seem to be the fluid

sense it does have 142k miles,,you may want to replace the transmission filter and make sure you get it full of fluid.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there.please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c1rsbpk1pe3m5i/1112-jeep-EFFECTS%20OF%20INCORRECT%20FLUID%20LEVEL.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/3c1rsbpk1pe3m5i/1112-jeep-EFFECTS%20OF%20INCORRECT%20FLUID%20LEVEL.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help