tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 2008 subaru tribeca. No it's a transmission place.

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 2008 subaru tribeca.
JA: Are you fixing your Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it's a transmission place. But they are not sure of the problem.
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: IT started slipping in low gears. engine lights came on. They tested and found an error, I think 1710. Fluid was checked maybe a month ago by mechanic.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem is intermittent. Doesn't happend on highway. only in low gears. I did some online research and seems other people have this problem and fixed it by replacing the valve body. Problem is it's $2000 canadian to replace the part, so I don't want to do unless necessary.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  tamaz replied 23 days ago.

Hi, from your description of the problem I have found some faulty wiring harnesses especially because of it's intermittent nature.The harness fault location is generally right where it passes in through the transmission case the wiring should be checked for high resistance if this is found the harness will need to be replaced which would be in the neighborhood of 400-500 dollars with labor.I have also seen valve body faults but for sure the harness should be examined closely first,thanks for your time.