Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

Two things; stalls on a cold morning; and, transmission

Customer Question

two things; stalls on a cold morning; and, transmission jerks when changing gears especially at highway speeds. I have to let off gas to allow it to change gear.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: no light now. it did come on, I thought due to a gas cap issue, and we cleared it about 6 weeks ago and not back on. it stalled when cold, twice. had to let sit for a minute to start a third time, rev it to warm up then fine.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2000 Toyota Avalon, xls
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the transmission gear shifting as I mentioned.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

Hey how are you

1- Do you have a check engine light on at this time & did yiu have it scanned and retrieved fault codes

2- The gas cap will cause a check engine light to comes on , but should not affect the car as far driving and shifting

3- the stalling could be number of reasons , from vacuum leak, to throttle Body , mass air flow sensor .

4-The transmission ,not shifting have you checked fluid ,level, quality ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no light now
codes were: p0446, p0440, p04412- The gas cap will cause a check engine light to comes on , but should not affect the car as far driving and shifting
understood!!3- the stalling could be number of reasons , from vacuum leak, to throttle Body , mass air flow sensor .
yep.4-The transmission ,not shifting have you checked fluid ,level, quality ?
fluid level good, color is ok. I think was previous changed and now has 90K miles.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have to leave now. i'll look for your response in a bit.

1-DTC ;P0440 is a vacum switching valve issue, back in the day honda had a TSB on it , i sent you the picures and the proceduers to check .

now this will cause the stall, that code is not a gas cap code , if that valve is not working replace it .

now the DTC P0440, P0441 & P0446 are all related, if you fix P0440 the rest wil go away .

2- now as fa as the transmission fault code what scanner are you using , can that scanner communicat with TCM module, these code you gave are only engine codes .

If at any point during our conversation you like to speak to me on the phone ,feel free to ask me or you can request it on the screen at your convenience and I will call you right away.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

TESTING PROCEDURE DTC P0440,441,446

1. Test operation of the Canister Closed Valve VSV using the Toyota Diagnostic Tester Active Test (see screen flow in Figure 1). NOTE: Canister Closed Valve (CCV) VSV is referred to as "CAN CTRL VSV" on the Toyota Diagnostic Tester.

2. Locate Canister Closed Valve (CCV) VSV as shown in Figure 2 (or refer to the Technical Information System [TIS] and the SFI section of applicable Repair Manual). 3. Using the Diagnostic Tester Active Test, switch the Canister Closed Valve VSV (CAN CTRL VSV) to ON using the arrow keys. 4. Does the Canister Closed Valve VSV make a "click" noise when switched to ON? YES ---> Go to Test VSV for Vacuum Leaks". NO ---> Go to Step 5. 5. Is the wiring harness connector properly connected to the Canister Closed Valve VSV? YES ---> Go to Step 6. NO ---> Fix the connector, then return to Step 3. 6. Disconnect the wiring harness connector for the Canister Closed Valve VSV. 7. Using a DVOM test at Pin 1 to a known good ground. Is battery voltage (B+) present at Pin 1 of the Canister Closed Valve VSV connector when the CAN CTRL VSV ACTIVE TEST is switched to ON? YES ---> Go to Step 8. NO ---> Perform diagnosis of power circuit. 8. Using a DVOM test at Pin 2 to a known good ground. Is there continuity to ground at Pin 2 of the Canister Closed Valve VSV connector when the CAN CTRL VSV ACTIVE TEST is switched to ON? YES ---> Replace the Canister Closed Valve VSV. NO ---> Perform diagnosis of ground circuit. Test VSV for Vacuum Leaks 1. Locate the vacuum hose going from charcoal canister to the Canister Closed Valve VSV. 2. Remove vacuum hose from the Canister Closed Valve VSV and connect a hand-held vacuum pump using a short length of vacuum hose. 3. Apply at least 10 mm Hg vacuum to the VSV (the vacuum should not hold). Is a vacuum held? YES ---> Replace the Canister Closed Valve VSV. NO ---> Go to Step 4. 4. Using the Diagnostic Tester Active Test, switch the Canister Closed Valve VSV (CAN CTRL VSV) to ON using the arrow keys. Apply at least 10 mm Hg vacuum to the VSV. Is a vacuum held for at least 1 minute? YES ---> Go to Step 5. NO ---> Replace the Canister Closed Valve VSV. 5. Disconnect the hand-held vacuum pump and reconnect the vacuum hose from the canister to the Canister Closed Valve VSV. 6. Continue diagnosis of the EVAP system. Reference TSB EG005-01, "EVAP System Operation Information."

Vacuum switching valve location

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat