Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2002 honda civic ex. had rebuilt trans 2-3 yrs ago. now it

Customer Question

2002 honda civic ex. had rebuilt trans 2-3 yrs ago. now it wont go into gear no matter which gear is chosen. only revs in place
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: rebuilt trans about 2-3 yrs ago. how do I check brake switch
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 honda civic ex
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was going to take to honda mechanic. just pushed car to house
JA: What year is your '02 Civic?
Customer: 2002
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
shift into any gear on 2002 honda civic ex and it only revs. no reverse or drive
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Check the fluid level and condition of the trans fluid. You could also scan for codes, if no codes this is an internal transmission failure.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fluid level is good and color is reddish. the sensor light was on (engine symbol). I was able to put it into drive and go up the streeet but then it just revved like in neutral.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You need a scan tool to see if there are any codes stored, this is the next step.

Expert:  Dan replied 24 days ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I ended up taking the car to a reputable transmission shop and they replaced torque converter (burned out) and rebuild kit with upgrades. I got a 1 yr warranty. I read the following about possibly getting Honda to contribute to the repair as detailed below. The shop did add a transmission cooler which they said would help. I have 194k miles on the car and would like to keep it but wondering what other expensive repairs may come up. I've kept detailed records from the beginning of purchasing the car and have fixed the problems noted online.Honda has offered some owners out-of-warranty compensation for the transmission repairs. Rather than going through your local dealership, it’s best to contact Honda Customer Service at (800) 999–1009 and ask for a “goodwill repair”. If you can provide proof that you followed Honda’s recommended maintenance schedule, Honda may offer to pay a portion of the repair bill – typically 50%, although some 2003 vehicle owners have reported having up to 75% covered.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Also, I saw this TSB "2002 Honda Civic Power Train Service Bulletin 320988". I was wondering if it was related to the transmission issues.
Expert:  Dan replied 12 days ago.

Are you the original owner?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no. I bought the car from a Lexus dealer with 52k miles. Original owner was a lady who just wanted a Lexus so she traded it in. Was taken care of.
Expert:  Dan replied 12 days ago.

You can always try to get Honda to pay for some of the repair bill.