Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I just replaced the clutch on my 2005 elantra. I am unable

Customer Question

I just replaced the clutch on my 2005 elantra. I am unable to move the shifting lever to the right to move into reverse (and 5th). The cable to the transmission moves well when not connected to the transmission. I believe that this is to move the forks up and down. I am not sure what the correct configuration should be.
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: The clutch has just been replaced. I am in the final stages of the installation.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2005 Hyundai Elantra.
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just simply to reconnect the cable and tried to move the shift lever to the right to engage reverse. It will not slide over. I am unable to find a diagram showing the correct position of the cable with respect to gear shift lever on top of the transmission.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can he show me a diagram of the proper installation?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I will help,

It sounds like the cable was not installed and seated fully where it connects to the .transmission. Can you inspect the end and see if it is seated in the holder and the spring clip is in the grooves holding it tight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The clip that holds the cable in place was not pried off. I simple removed the two #10 bolts that holds the cable and moved it out of the way. It looks to me that the linkage is supposed to raise the shifting arm up when the shift lever is moved to the right. That is locked up. I checked the cable movement when it is disconnected and it moves freely. I am puzzled.

I am not sure how you replace a clutch without removing the shift cables so I will OPT out of your questions.

Sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cables where removed by unbolting the bracket.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can you send a diagram of what the normal installation looks like. Is there a washer between the plastic lifting arm and the cable pin?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

New expert here, I can send you the service manual procedure for the shift cables.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please call me. ************
Rick