sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 1992 el dorado with a 4.9 v8. Transmission was

Customer Question

I have a 1992 el dorado with a 4.9 v8. Transmission was shifting and working fine but its front seal leaked like hell. I hired a guy to pull the engine which he did so i could replace the front seal of the tranny. Replaced the seal.. No more leaking, but now the CEL is on shows a code for the VSS. Replaced that sensor but the light is still on and the trans will only shift from first to second. Reverse is fine.... Now heres the weird thing while troublshooting this this a buddy was helping me look for a ground that got overlooked but we cant find one but in doing so he forgot to plug the alternator back in and while in this "no charge" state the tranny shifted into all 4 gears..... Hook the charging system back up and no shift??? Am i pn the right track assuming a ground could be at fault here?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I still havn't received an answer to my question???
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I wouldn't expect a ground issue if this is the only problem.

Damaged speed sensor wiring is a good possibility but if the alternator charging or not will truly allow it to shift correctly then the problem is most likely electrical noise from a failing alternator.

Is unplugging the alternator and having it shift correctly something you can reproduce every thing or is that something that happened once?