Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

1990 Mitsubishi Montero kicks transmission down and thros a

Customer Question

1990 Mitsubishi Montero kicks transmission down and thros a ck engine light and can hear a click when this happens in passenger side kick panel where relays are
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: a lot like 240000
JA: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive sent it out for a read at the dealer and nothing back from them as they replaced to 02
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cant drive this vehicle anymore as it keeps kicking down in gear and sets the ck engine
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like the engine or transmission is going into a fail safe limp mode.The transmission will down shift to second gear usually when this occurs.The computer will cause this to occur when a fault is detected.If you have not had the fault codes re checked to see what codes are set in all computers this needs done.Any codes set will help diagnose and locate the issue here.If you can get the fault codes checked and post the code info here let me know.This is a component on the engine or transmission causing this to occur.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete