Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2004 forester xt, 4EAT, the shift from 2-3 flares after the

Customer Question

2004 forester xt, 4EAT, the shift from 2-3 flares after the trans fluid warms up. It's the first year of the phase 2 version 2 with the six instead of 7 selenoids. I just cleaned the valve body and it got a little better but problem still persists.
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: When I rebuilt the valve body just yesterday
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just removing the valve body. I have the service manual for the transmission also
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can think of so far.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

How did the bottom of the pan look? There might also be an ecm update available for this problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The bottom of the pan was bad, the magnet was covered in very fine particles. I was hoping that it was because of the slamming into 3rd gear for so long. The previous owner had been driving it like that for a year or so. If you let off the gas right as second gear let go you can "catch" 3rd without it slamming. Then after a while it loses 3rd, 4th and lockup and I have to drive home in second gear. I cleaned the pan and valve body thoroughly when I reassembled it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
From what I read in the manual it seems to have something to do with the drainback speed of the fluid from the accumulator for that shift.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says: "Too lengthy of an overlap and the shifts will be too harsh, too less and the shifts will flare" This is the 2-4 clutch solenoid and high clutch.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not yet, Im going to drive it long enough so that all the engine monitors are reset and I figure by then the transmission will be ready. I left the battery unhooked while I had the trans apart. I found the procedure to get the codes from the trans in the manual and I will try that and see what comes up. I havent had the "ATF TEMP" light come on yet since I put it back together so there may not be any codes until that happens again.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

How many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
202k
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Maybe time for a rebuild or reman unit installed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe, although if that were the case I don't think it would work perfectly before it warms up and these transmissions are generally known to be good for a lot of miles.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

I will open this up to other experts. No need to reply to this as it will lock the question back to me and others will not be able to view it.