Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

How to change the transmission filter on a 2001 Isuzu

Customer Question

How to change the transmission filter on a 2001 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L, also what is the torque on the pan bolts?
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Trooper yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I changed both gaskets. I filled up the rear pan first, spilled some fluid, don't think it ever sealed, retightened and it still leaks. Also had to retighten the front pan bolts too and I think it still leaks. Have to add 1-1&1/2 quarts of fluid a week
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need a detail procedure on how to do this & the torque for both pans. And am I supposed to fill the back pan before I install it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Is this a 4x4?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No phone call. Not at the truck at this time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to work all week end and I couldn't respond back. Am I still connected or not? Please let me know something
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes you are still connected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I am back for my answers
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Can you take a picture of where the trans is leaking and attach it here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both fans of leaking from the gasket itself
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Sometimes over tightening the pan bolts can cause a leak, you will need to remove the pan and use a hammer around the bolt holes to make the pan flat again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I still connected? I appreciate the information about the pans, but I need the correct procedure on how to change the filter, how to drain the transmission fluid and refill it and I also need the torque on both of the pans front and back. I also need to know should I fill the rear pan before I install it or will it fill itself when I refill the transmission.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry for the delay, I am a dealer technician and work full time. I am getting you the info you need now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** some weird hours some times myself.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Adapter Case Oil Pan Bolt 97 in lb (11) Nm

Main Case Oil Pan Bolt 97 in lb (11) Nm

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

transmission fluid

RECOMMENDED FLUID

Manufacturer recommends Dexron-III ATF for use in this transmission. Fill to appropriate level. See FLUID CAPACITIES .

Changing Transmission Fluid

There is no need to change the transmission fluid unless the transmission is used under one or more of the following heavy duty conditions.

1. Repeated short trips
  2. Driving on rough roads
  3. Driving on dusty roads
  4. Towing a trailer

If the vehicle is used under these conditions, change the fluid every 20,000 miles (32,000 km.)

1. Place a large drain pan under the oil pan.
  2. Remove the transmission oil drain screw (2) and drain fluid.
  3. Tighten drain screw (2).

Torque: 38 N.m (28 lb ft)

4. Remove the transmission overfill screw (1) and fill transmission through overfill screw opening, using DEXRON®-III ATF.

NOTE: Add transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening.

5. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32 °C (90 °F) and 57 °C (135 °F) is reached.
  6. Add transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening, then close the overfill screw (1).

Torque: 38 N.m (28 lb ft)

NOTE: To prevent fluid leaks, the overfill screw and oil drain screws gasket must be replaced each time these screws are removed.

NOTE: Check transmission fluid temperature with service scan tool.

7. Reset "Oil Life Monitor" data by using Tech 2.

Refer to TECH 2 OBD II CONNECTION .

Fig 2: Locating Transmission Oil Drain Screw And Transmission Overfill Screw

Courtesy of ISUZU MOTOR CO.View Full-Screen

Checking Transmission Fluid Level and Condition

Checking fluid level and condition (color and odor) at regular intervals will provide early diagnosis information about the transmission. This information may be used to correct a condition that, if not detected early, could result in major transmission repairs.

Important: When new, automatic transmission fluid is red in color. As the vehicle is driven, the transmission fluid will begin to look darker in color. The color may eventually appear light brown.

A dark brown color with burnt odor may indicate excessive fluid deterioration and signal a need for fluid change.

Fluid Level

When adding or changing fluid, use only DEXRON®-III. Refer to CHANGING TRANSMISSION FLUID .

CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFILL. Overfilling will cause foaming, loss of fluid, abnormal shifting and possible damage to the transmission.

1. Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the parking brake firmly.
  2. Check fluid level with engine running at idle.

NOTE: Be sure that transmission fluid temperature is below 30 °C (86 °F).

3. Move the selector lever through all gear ranges.
  4. Move the selector lever to "Park".
  5. Let engine idle for 3 minutes and open the overfill screw (1).
  6. Add released transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening.
  7. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32 °C (90 °F) and 57 °C (135 °F) is reached, then close the overfill screw (1).

Torque: 38 N.m (28 lb ft)

NOTE: Check transmission fluid temperature with scan tool.

Minimum fluid level - 57 °C (135 °F)

8. Maximum fluid level - 32 °C (90 °F)

Fig 3: Locating Overfill Screw

CAUTION: Do not open overfill screw with engine stopped.

CAUTION: DO NOT CHECK FLUID LEVEL UNDER THESE CONDITIONS:

• Immediately after driving at sustained highway speeds.
  • In heavy city traffic during hot weather.
  • If vehicle is towing a trailer.

If the vehicle has been operated under these conditions, shut the engine off and allow the vehicle to "cool" for thirty (30) minutes. After the cool down period, restart the vehicle and continue from step 2 above.

Fluid Condition

Fig 4: Fluid Condition Reference Chart

Courtesy of ISUZU MOTOR CO.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Dan thanks for that information it's just one more thing I wanted to know since I have to change the gasket on the little pan do I need to refill it first before I install it or will it refill itself when I put fluid in the refill hole.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It will refill itself.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thanks @ work
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome