Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

It wont shift into gear. checked the linkage seems to be

Customer Question

it wont shift into gear. checked the linkage seems to be working .notice that the shifting lever wobbles where it didn't before.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 1990 model brake switch don't under stand why this would cause it not to go into gear?
JA: What is the model of your '90 Chevy?
Customer: extreme
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked linkage connections al seems to be working the truck rolls in all gears except for
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: except for nuetral
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It rolls in every gear except park not neutral
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the actual shifter linkage on the transmission is shifting but it feels like neutral in almost all gears this indicates an internal mechanical fault in the transmission itself.This can be a broken shift linkage internally at fault in the transmission needing replaced.I would have the internal components inspected in the transmission to see if anything is found broken or damaged needing replaced.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete