Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

I have been told that something is wrong with the

Customer Question

hi! I have been told that something is wrong with the transmission in my jeep and the people at the shop told me that they put a quart of transmission fluid in it and nothing has changed and my question to them was, if it was empty, will one quart be enough? I have seen a leak under my car but assumed it was water because it didn't stain my concrete of look or smell anything other than water soo I'm on here trying to find out how many quarts should be in there without a dipstick
JA: Have you made sure the transmission is getting power?
Customer: im not sure - the people who have my car right now don't work on transmissions and so the guys who I called about my transmission asked if they checked the fluids because it sounds like it doesn't have any in there because my car has been riding rough and when I went to drive my car this morning is was shaking
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2011 Jeep Patriot
JA: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im not fixing it myself, the only thing they have done was add a quart of transmission fluid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

does this shop know how to check the fluid or they do not know ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said there is not a dipstick so they do not know the actual level.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm wondering how many quarts of transmission fluid does my Jeep hold -- and if it was empty, will one quart be enough?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

no 1 quart will not be enough but we do not know how much fluid it has lost

a transmission shop or the dealer is where this vehicle needs to go as there is a special dip stick either has to properly check the fluid level

have it towed to the dealer or a transmission shop as if its low it may damage the transmission further is its not already damaged from driving it

the fluid level must be set to the correct level and only with the special dip stick this can be done

have them set it to the correct level and see how it shifts and rides

if it still acts up the odds are it was driven too long with low fluid and may have damaged some internal clutches

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer