Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Im having some transmission issues and my check engine light

Customer Question

im having some transmission issues and my check engine light hasnt come one. I need to locate the secondary fuse panel to check that that fuse is still operational
JA: Has the vehicle been scanned for codes?
Customer: not yet im taking it in today but I have concerns the fuse has been removed and that is why there was no light indicato
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 ford focus lx
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have replaced the fuel filter, my guy looked at the fuel lines, hoping it was that. All the fluids are good, no leaks. it hopped out of gear while merhing onto the freeway then went back in. but its done it a few times before that
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There isnt a fuse for the check engine light itself.The engine computer turns on and off the light as needed.If the entire instrument cluster was not working then it could be a fuse issue but if the instrument cluster is working then this isnt a fuse issue here.

Does the check engine light come on when you first turn on the key before starting the engine?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the light comes on. Thats good future info about the check engine being part of a cluster, good to know
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,so the light and signal is working then.

The fault hasn't been detected yet by the computer to set off the check engine light but it would be a good idea to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set to be safe.

This sounds more mechanical in the transmission.This can be a valve body fault or burnt or worn out clutch or band at fault needing replaced.I would have the transmission checked/tested to see which components are damaged or broken needing replaced.Keep in mind in some cases this can require removal of the transmission to take it apart for inspection and repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete