Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

2006 magnum with hemi. yes, how do i check tranny fluid?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

ok..give me just one moment and i will upload the procedure

i am still with you,,just having a little computer trouble,,i about have it,,please stand by

EFFECTS OF INCORRECT FLUID LEVEL A low fluid level allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. Air in the fluid will cause fluid pressures to be low and develop slower than normal. If the transmission is overfilled, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates the fluid and causing the same conditions occurring with a low level. In either case, air bubbles cause fluid overheating, oxidation, and varnish buildup which interferes with valve and clutch operation. Foaming also causes fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmission vent or fill tube. Fluid overflow can easily be mistaken for a leak if inspection is not careful. CAUSES OF BURNT FLUID Burnt, discolored fluid is a result of overheating which has three primary causes. 1. Internal clutch slippage, usually caused by low line pressure, inadequate clutch apply pressure, or clutch seal failure. 2. A result of restricted fluid flow through the main and/or auxiliary cooler. This condition is usually the result of a faulty or improperly installed drainback valve, a damaged oil cooler, or severe restrictions in the coolers and lines caused by debris or kinked lines. 3. Heavy duty operation with a vehicle not properly equipped for this type of operation. Trailer towing or similar high load operation will overheat the transmission fluid if the vehicle is improperly equipped. Such vehicles should have an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler, a heavy duty cooling system, and the engine/axle ratio combination needed to handle heavy loads. FLUID CONTAMINATION Transmission fluid contamination is generally a result of: ^ adding incorrect fluid ^ failure to clean dipstick and fill tube when checking level ^ engine coolant entering the fluid ^ internal failure that generates debris ^ overheat that generates sludge (fluid breakdown) ^ failure to replace contaminated converter after repair The use of non-recommended fluids can result in transmission failure. The usual results are erratic shifts, slippage, abnormal wear and eventual failure due to fluid breakdown and sludge formation. Avoid this condition by using recommended fluids only The dipstick cap and fill tube should be wiped clean before checking fluid level. Dirt, grease and other foreign material on the cap and tube could fall into the tube if not removed beforehand. Take the time to wipe the cap and tube clean before withdrawing the dipstick. Engine coolant in the transmission fluid is generally caused by a cooler malfunction. The only remedy is to replace the radiator as the cooler in the radiator is not a serviceable part. If coolant has circulated through the transmission, an overhaul is necessary The torque converter should be replaced whenever a failure generates sludge and debris. This is necessary because normal converter flushing procedures will not remove all contaminants.

very sorry it took me so long,,my computer isnt working well for me today

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there.please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4d61ntt5ig4izi/1024-magnum-Special%20Tools.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/v4d61ntt5ig4izi/1024-magnum-Special%20Tools.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help