Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Blinking transmission light, but "doing the transmission

Customer Question

blinking transmission light, but "doing the transmission dance" doesn't produce any code
JA: Have you checked the transmission fluid?
Customer: just changed it today. fresh 8 quarts or there abouts
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
JA: Are you fixing your Outback Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tried replacing the ATF. I understand there is a handshake to get the TCM codes out, but doesn't seem to work on my vehicle
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
to be clear, light blinks after starting car, which means I need to pull the TCM code. But instruactions I find to get it to blink the code don't work. Drive, then put in "1", turn car off, turn ON (but don't start?), then 2-1-2-3-D. Light stays solid and doesn't blink a code. Or should I start the car again by putting it in "P" and start the engine to see the code?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

The light should flash in a sequence correspondent to the trouble code, (with doing any 'dance').

How To Read Trouble Code Of Indicator Light
The AT OIL TEMP indicator light flashes the code corresponding to the faulty part.

The long segment (1.2 sec on) indicates a "ten", and the short segment (0.2 sec on) signifies a "one".

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But how do I get the troubke code to blink out. The onlybblinking is after start and is the warning not the code itself
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Yes, let me post a link to the instructions for reading the codes, thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqlkjbqrfvfljrv/How%20To%20Read%20Trouble%20Code%20Of%20Indicator%20Light.pdf?dl=0