Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Got a 2001 Jetta TDI manual shift. Just tried to drive and

Got a 2001 Jetta TDI manual shift. Just tried to drive and the transmission would not engage with the motor running all of the sudden. I pulled over, shut off the engine, then turn it on again. Starting running and shifting ok, but the glow plug light on the dash started flashing. Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yeah, they are fine
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, just happy to get home
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's the main thing right now

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

You wrote manual shift, does that mean it has an automatic or manual transaxle?

Do you have the ability or tools to see which codes are stored?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a stick shift and I do not have a code reader.

When you say it would not engage does that mean it was stuck in neutral, you could not get it into any gear with the clutch pressed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to shift gears, but it would not take off after releasing the clutch. Once I shut it off and restarted, it shifted fine.

So while in gear, engine running, the clutch pedal not applied. It acted as if it was in neutral?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yup

Thanks,

That is one odd clutch system failure, to the point of almost never occurring. For this to occur the pressure plate would have to be applied so there was no pressure on the clutch disc just like as if you were pressing the clutch pedal in. Possible causes are the pressure plate sticking, the release bearing binding on the input shaft, or the slave cylinder sticking.

For the flashing glow plug light that just means there are codes stored. One or more of hundreds of possible codes. A tech could not even come close to guessing and being accurate. A scan tool is a must to see which codes are stored.

These 2 issues are not related, just a coincidence they occurred at the same time. Something electrically related has caused the flashing light and the clutch concern has nothing to do with electronics.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I ran a code reader - P1630 showed up. It did it again last Thursday, but has not occurred since. Going up a steep drive, the transmission would not engage. I pulled over, shut it down, turned it over again, then the Glow Plug light came on flashing. It sat overnight and once I started it again, nothing. Been like that ever since.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, code P1639

Are you asking for the diag steps for code 1639?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was just giving you the code I had to see if you have any more additional insight

1639 means there is a concern with the TP sensor, this can cause the glow plug light to flash. If needed the diag steps are below for this code.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/tpcode.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the info

Your welcome