Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

I have a 1996 ford ranger 2.3 that slips in overdrive the

Customer Question

i have a 1996 ford ranger 2.3 that slips in overdrive the scanner give me a p0176 problem with shift solenoid C. stuck off need to know witch solenoid it is and how to test and wire color
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Are you sure you have the right code, the code P0176 is a fuel code (P0176Fuel Composition sensor (FCS) circuit malfunction) ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
p0761
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay that makes more since. See the steps to check this circuit in the link below as well as the wiring diagram for testing reference. Have a look and let me know if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0761%20Oct%2012.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Transmission%20Wiring%20Oct%2012.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the tran is shifting but when it get in a pull up a hill in 4 gear the o/d light starts flashing an it start to slip. it does not do it all the time when tran shift real hard between gears and not smoothly it will not slip in 4 th it is like a solenoil is sticking and stay stuck witch solenoil would this be the css or epc
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Did you check the signal from the solenoid in the steps I sent you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all solenoids are getting signal
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay in most case is the solenoids are getting the signal and its still not shifting correctly that usually means the problem is an internal concern.