Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Montero with a transmission or ABS

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Montero with a transmission or ABS problem. While driving at any speed, the cars slows and grinds as if the transmission is loaded by friction or the brakes have been applied. It may occur within a half hour of driving through a large puddle, when the system was immersed and ABS engaged. The problem normally goes away while driving but seems like a major problem. Over one year passed between the most recent occurrences with many miles driven in between. Brakes have been checked out and transmission has no problems. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1-you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from The ABS module

have you done that already , any fault codes retrieved ?

2- was a visual inspection done to the transmission any leaks ?

3- If the ABS sensor one or more malfunction , it will trigger the ABS system and lock up your brakes, i wonder if this what is happening

4- pull out the wheel and take all abs wheel sensors out and clean ,sometimes debris build up ,causes premature activation

5- is the ABS light on at this time .

6- has trans, brake fluid checked ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fluids have been checked. I don't recall whether ABS lights came on at this time.The loud grinding/growl sound occurs but the brakes may not be engaging, as the car doesn't immediately slow down. It sounds like the transmission is trying to engage a low-range gear, then finally 'clunks' and goes back to normal transmission operation and sounds. When I was young, my father had an old Willy's jeep. The sound of the Montero problem is similar to the old jeep in low-low range. Growling in low gear, probably not brake pads grinding.

yea don't sound like it ,you describing it more sounds more of transmission gear engagement issue .

if you had internal damage , it will be there constantly , does it sound like a gear not going and making grinding noise like having a bad syncro in old manual cars ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it may be a transmission engagement issue (lack of full engagement) but it occurs while driving at a constant speed. Maybe after the ABS system engaged a half hour earlier. May be a coincidence.

this a hard one , I would tear down and inspect the transmission ,

when fluid was changed was there any shaved metal in i t?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I am forced to go to a Mitsubishi dealer to check this out. A non-dealer transmission shop may not have seen this occur. Can't find any recalls of this problem.

yes there is no recalls on it i doubled checked

I wish i can tell you exact answer on it , but not something that ran into it before on them ,so i dont want to guess

more inspection needed unfortunately

Chadf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks any way. Bye

you welcome ,

good luck with it

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician