Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

Transmission, I drove in P R N D (2) 1 IN 2 now won't shift

Customer Question

Transmission, I drove in P R N D (2) 1
IN 2 now won't shift to 3rd gear
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: It's clean, relatively new fluid n filter
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: E250 2001 4.2L
JA: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

In order to determine if the problem your describing is internal or an electronic control issue you are going to need to start first with having the computer system scanned to see if the computer system is detecting and storing any fault codes. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No codes! Overdrive light blinks after a while.
If I drive drove in (D) when it goes to shift to 3rd, pressing has just revs engine.
To engage again I have to put in ( N) then back to (D).
I can drive with Overdrive Off and it stays in 2nd gear and does not disengage
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

If the overdrive light is flashing then there should be a code and or codes. You can not usually retrieve fault codes with a code reader and will need a full scan tool.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I'll find a place to pull code. It will be a couple of hours. Can I still reply here later?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I am here all day. Post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Ron
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Your very welcome, thank you as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning, the only code was lean Bank 2 p0174 which is a vacuum leak, had lots of ones I fixed because bad hoses.
I couldn't get a Full scan.
Can fluid being over filled cause this?
In (D) when speed goes high end of 2nd gear, it feels like (N) gas does nothing! Please help, I don't have the money so I have to fix it myself. Can it be a speed sensor telling tranny wrong info?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

In most cases it being a bit overfull will not usually affect the transmission shift point. If its feeling like your in neutral when you rev the engine then that usually means the transmission is slipping. A speed senor may affect the shift point but will not cause any slipping. The problem sounds to me like the you have an internal failure and knowing the fault codes would very likely verify if in fact that is the case.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, it's just weird that I drove it in (2) for a mile or so and now it won't shift past that.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

I would agree and if I had the fault code I could help you determine if its an electronic control issue or internal, that being said it dose sound like its going to end up being an internal failure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dang ok. Where can I go for free full scan if possible
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

A code reader will not work on the transmission control system and most shops are the only ones with a full scan tool. You may want to check with a transmission shop like AAMCO , there are some that will do a scan for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Hopefully I can get it today. Thanks again
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will do
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just thought of this, is there any vacuum lines that deal with the transmission in anyway ?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

No, Your 2001 transmission is totally electronically controlled.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Having the system scanned and knowing the fault code will go a long ways for determining the actual cause.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hear ya
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell which transmission a vehicle has from the VIN number?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Yes give me your vin number and I can run it for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the code is L1728, transmission slip malfunction!Also, can you tell me if this van vin ( 1FTNE24201HB09740 ) transmission would if replaced using this ( 1FTNE24WX3HB21528 )
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The first vin number shows the transmission to be a 4R70W (AODE) transmission. See the report below.

The second Vin show the same transmission (4R70W (AODE) . See the report below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/oasi%20%232%20Oct%2015.pdf

The difference I see is the engine size and year. If the wiring checks to be the same then the transmission should work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How would I know?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The only way to know would be to do a very close inspection comparing the wires and the connector.