Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

Trans reset. Suggest that to reset (D). I am to press (S)

Customer Question

Trans reset. Suggest that to reset (D). I am to press (S) for 3 seconds. I did that and no reset. Trams shift take longer. What do I do?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: ive had the car 2 months and it just turned 40,000 and no leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: SL 500. 2005
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive tried nothing yet,this just started a few minutes ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the check engine light has come on with this issue here the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set with a compatible scan tool for your model here.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.

This may be a fault with the transmission valve body or a solenoid in the valve body.In some cases all that is needed is to have the transmission adaptations relearned with a dealers sds machine.But I would start with having the fault codes checked to see if any codes are set needing diagnosed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete