sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

I can't get it out of 4wd, 01 Dodge Dakota, I am fixing it

Customer Question

I can't get it out of 4wd
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 01 Dodge Dakota
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself...I've unplugged the connector going to the little motor to get it out of 4wd...blew it out and plugged it back in I have put the truck in Neutral and park and tried to shift out of 4HI and it won't go into 2wd
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: Not really, but the tires might be a little low at the moment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've tried disengaging in park, neutral and while moving very slow in both forward and reverse won't get out of 4wd
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a handful of things going on depending on the actual symptoms and what gear it's in. If you're seeing a service four wheel drive message then the transfer case module has seen a failure in the system and it will need to be repaired. If it's in four low then it may just be a matter of using the correct shift procedure, there may also be a mechanical failure in the transfer case or it could just be a tire circumference issue.

Is it in four high or low?

Are you seeing a service four wheel drive message?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's stuck in four high. The tires do look a little bit low. And all this happened right after I went through deep standing water on the road due to flooding

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah the service four wheel drive light comes on after it tries to go into 2WD a couple of times

Do you have a scan tool capable of communication with the transfer case module?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

The only things you'll really be able to do then are a visual inspection of the transfer case motor, wiring, connections, and make sure fuses are good. If no problems are found then a scan tool is going to be necessary to first see what fault codes are setting and then electrical testing would be required from there. The transfer case motor itself is the most likely cause for this.