Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

I have 2006 dodge 2500 cummins, i just rebuilt the

Customer Question

I have 2006 dodge 2500 cummins, i just rebuilt the transmission a month and a half ago; new cluth pacs,electronic's and a billet dual disk converter, it also has a shift kit in it. Well a few week ago i made an 70+ mile trip with a 30 ft gooseneck trailer to pick up a buddies truck. Half way thri the trip i notice it was shifting in and out of overdrive on the highway, then eventually never went back into overdrive. So i proceeded to pulling over to see what was going on, upon getting out of the truck i look down on the ground and notice transmission fluid leaking everywhere. After it quit leaking i pin pointed it that it was one of the rubber hoses to the external fliter for the transmission had busted. Come to find out it was even the right hose for that external filter, it was a coolant hose, probably reasoning why it blew out to due to high pressure and a load on the truck, so with the limted resources we had we put a similar hose back on to make it home, on the down side i had to use some cheap gas station trans fluid to re fill it since i had lost all of my fluid in the gas station parking lot. Now i have ran the truck for two weeks since that happen with the same hose and fluid. And it seem to drive fine. I check the transmission fluid today and it had air bubbles in the fluid on the dipstick, why might that be? Maybe air got in the lines after replaceing the hose? Potentially bc of the cheap transmission fluid? Should i just service the transmission and replace those lines for the external fliter?
JA: Can you actually see the leak? And is the fluid itself bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Its not leaking now,and its got good color to it
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing i was just worried to why there was air bubbles in the transmission fluid on the dipstick
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

is it foamy?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you out. Bubbles in the fluid usually means that the fluid level is over filled. Do a transmission fluid and filter change (service ) then add 6 quarts of fluid and start the engine. Let her warm up ft or about 30 minutes. Now check the fluid level with the truck on level ground, idling, and the shift lever in neutral (not park) you may need to add a little bit more, but don't overfill it. Use ATF 4 fluid. This should take care of the problem.Chris
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would it hurt to drive a 130 miles back home this weekend? Im @ school in ohio now
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

It will probably be ok to drive it back home. Just be sure that your hise fix is good and that there are no leaks.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Driving it 130 miles should be okay, but do the transmission service as soon as you can when you get home.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Hello? Are you able to see my last replies?

Chris