ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech

My car will not shift out of park. This happens

Customer Question

My car will not shift out of park. This happens intermittently. 3 out of 5 days I can't drive my car because it won't shift out of park. 2005 Cadillac STS
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Yes I have lights & no trouble codes other than my oxygen sensor needing to be replaced.
JA: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No im not fixing it myself but I like to research so I kind of know what's going on with it. I'm a woman & I don't want to be taken advantage of.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mechanic said it could be a cylinoid in the shifter that needs to be replaced
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 17 days ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

The 2 most common causes are the brake switch and the shift interlock solenoid. Both are part of the BTSI- brake transmission interlock system.

When it doesnt shift out of park, you need to check the brake lights. If they are not working, then it is the brake switch. If they are, it is the shift interlock solenoid at the shifter assembly.

Expert:  ebrock63 replied 16 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  ebrock63 replied 10 days ago.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you.