sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

I have a 2001 pt cruiser. I can only get 1st gear and every

Customer Question

Hi richard, I have a 2001 pt cruiser. I can only get 1st gear and every now and then the speed ometer will work. I changed both the input and output sensors, no change at all. Then I changed the shift solenoid pack, no change. Finally I changed the transmission. Still only 1st gear and sometimes speed ometer works. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The speedometer signal originates from the output speed sensor. The TCM picks up the signal, uses it for shifting calculations and converts it to vehicle speed. Odds are the speedometer and shifting issues are related. The TCM may be going down or you may have an output speed sensor wiring issue.

Does the PRNDL display show the correct gear while the speedometer isn't working?
Have you checked for TCM communication with a scan tool when this happens?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The PRNDL does display the correct gear when the speedometer isn't working however I have not checked the TCM with a scan tool.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 16 days ago.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. You most likely have a wiring or connection issue with the output speed sensor.