Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

I have replaced a VGS plate the car drives smooth however

Customer Question

I have replaced a VGS plate the car drives smooth however there is a jerk between 2 to 3rd gear, Do we require transmission adaption and if yes what ate the steps for it, Its 722.9 transmission
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
How much time will it take sit
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Also email me the available time of the experts as i m located in India
Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The adaptation does need done and this has to be done with a dealers SDS machine or fully compatible scan tool to perform this as the shift points and speeds are maintained and observed to lock in the adaptations using this type of scan tool.If you have a tool that can perform this adaptation let me know so we can continue.If you do not one is needed.It should be under transmission in the scan tool/sds machine and adaptations and it usually walks you through it from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We have repaired the VGS and replaced the same, One of the technician had said that in this case the adaption can be done on parking gear and we don't have to keep a tab of oil temperature because the adaptation while driving is done if we have replaced the new VGS, Please confirm how should we do the adaption, We do have a SDS DIAGNOSIS tool STAR so please guide me how to do adaption
Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

I apologize for the delay.

What year is this model here?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Model:221 & Transmission no:722.9
Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

On the sds machine when your in the transmission computer under functions or adaptations do you see shift adaptations at all as well as torque converter adaptation.This model does need the adaptations done with the sds machine.Sure it will adapt on its own over time but this can take months to do on its own.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Can i do it on parking gear
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Please guide me the steps for adaption
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

I dont show from here exactly how to walk through with the dealers SDS machine.I know how to do it once I am on the right page on the SDS but from here it is difficult to recall.With the SDS it is done when being driven from a stop and slowing from high speeds keeping the engine rpm usually around 1300 to 1700 rpm and manually shifting up and down from one gear to the next a few times back and forth at each speed for each gear.I did find some info on a manual learn that may work as well for this model here:

Turn the key to position 2. You should see all the dash lights come on. Do NOT start the car. Position II: You should hear two clicks and all your dash lights should turn on. Do not start the engine. Press the gas pedal all the way. By pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor, you will activate the kick down switch. Keep the gas pedal pressed all the way to down. Wait. Continue to keep the gas pedal pressed for at least 10 seconds. Turn key to OFF, position 0. Don’t remove the key.Release the gas pedal.Wait 2 minutes. During this process, key is left in the ignition in the OFF position.Start the car and drive.
Once you perform this procedure the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU) will work together to learn how you drive by monitoring your driving pattern. After you follow this programing method of the TCU / ECU drive the car for 15 min. You should have a transmission that shifts smooth and normal if this works.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete