Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

I have a 98 5.9 liter jeep grand cherokee with a

Customer Question

I have a 98 5.9 liter jeep grand cherokee with a transmission that was never fixed the first time I had to repair it... I am thinking of putting it on craigslist to sell for parts or a project at the same time I love that jeep and would like to keep it and fix it, I just don't think I can afford to do it. Any idea where I might be able to affordably fix it or maybe you might know someone who could use it for a project or parts?
JA: I am Pearl, the Jeep Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Do you know of any characteristical (not sure if that is even a word) issues with these transmissions? It seemed the guy I initially took it into could not figure it out... It never shifted correctly after he supposedly fixed it. It would shutter when I would floor it after he rebuilt it twice then he replaced it without telling me which stopped the shutter but it would slip sometimes when kicking into passing gear or flooring it... what ever you choose to call it.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Replaced in 2010. No leaking.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing it myself. I would have to have someone do it for me. I haven't tried anything since the original replacement back in 2010. Trying to decide whether it is worth it to fix it or sell it as a project or for parts.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 22 days ago.

providing these units are kept clean with regular oil changes and washing out of the filters then they usually go on for many thousands of miles

From your description I'd say its possibly a lack of oil pressure from the pump which can be down to a clogged filter screen or a damaged pump or otherwise clogged up galleries

ideally I'd drain the fluid off and strain it through some paper towel to catch any debris

if this is OK then I'd hook up a oil pressure gauge to measure the running pressure of the unit

Expert:  Matt replied 17 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you