internal88, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working in the automotive industry for over 10 years. Diagnostic is my strength.

Just looking at the transmission cooler and lines, looking

Customer Question

Just looking at the transmission cooler and lines, looking at having the local guy do the repair, the VW dealers didn't think it was worth it to pay them what they would have to charge for new parts, etc. It's a 2006
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: I don't understand how this works, am I to pay you $5?
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: month ago, it was almost gone because of the rust/holes in the trans cooler and lines, we use a lot of salt in WI
JA: What is the model of your '06 VW?
Customer: 2.0T
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no the local guy will do it, what I'm trying to decide is what parts to buy, the dealer was over $500
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: after market versus OEM, sketches look different I don't think so
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  internal88 replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon- VW tech.

Typically I preferred using OEM due to the fact the quality is little better than aftermarket.

What model is your 2006 VW?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Expert:  internal88 replied 22 days ago.

The transmission cooler and the hoses will cost you about $100. The labor is about 1.5 hours.

Fairly straight forward job. There are lot of aftermarket parts for the 2.0T.

Please rate me positive, thank you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
where would I find those prices? nowhere I found had OEM cooler less than $300 and that was a random eBay part. Need 4 hoses @ 85 each. Guess what I really need is a cheap, reliable VW OEM parts store!
Expert:  internal88 replied 17 days ago.

there are two different transmission cooler. There is a round cooler and a long round cooler.

Which one do you have? I have posted a picture, please confirm which one you have?