Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

I was going down the road 65 mile an hour the truck lost

Customer Question

I was going down the road 65 mile an hour the truck lost overdrive and low gear gas gauge quit speedometer quit tachometer quit fuel gauge quit or I mean electrical gauge I have oil pressure is all four wheel drive quit working
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
  • Can I get the year, make model?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab four wheel drive
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Can you ohm test all fuses and confirm not are blown as our first step?

In drive you mentioned no low gear, meaning no 1st gear?

When shifted down to manual 1st, does 1st then work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No first gear does not work when put into first gear and Overdrive and the*****does not work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That check fuses fuses are all good

We need to fix all electrical concerns prior to mechanical concerns. So we have to get the instrument cluster back working first. What liter engine do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looks like 53458
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
53 or 58 it looks like

I can tell from the 8th vin#

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That would be a T
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Can I get the full vin#. I am not showing a T an an option on 99 1500 truck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1GCEK19T2XE207537

Thanks,

Using the link below can you confirm at the instrument cluster it is getting all the powers and grounds it needs?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99IC.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just what was your answer a diagram if I was a mechanic I wouldn't need you

Are you saying your not able to check the powers and grounds to the instrument cluster?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put in gas I check the oil transmission fluid, I was lucky I was able to check fuses after that I sell stuff I don't fix it sorry

Sorry I do not believe I am the tech you need. I help customers diagnose and fix there vehicle concerns. I will opt out and remove myself from this question.

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

did all this happen at the same time?

when you say it lost overdrive,,,does the engine just vrev and not pull the truck or does it just not shift to od.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
everything happened all at once going down the highway yes it pulls it just does not shift into overdrive and I if I shipped it all the way down it will not shift into low I have second and drive I have no gas gauge no temperature gauge and speedometer and tachometer

what does it do in low..does the engine rev or it just doesnt go to low?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It just does not dropping too low it falls but it's in second gear when I go down that far and then I can shift it up into drive but I have no overdrive no Lo

ok,,can you take the phone call option?

does the PRND321 light up in the dash with the key on?

are you there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I have no lights on instrumentation panel no tachometer and speedometer no gas gauge no temp gauge no baggage you don't get it I had that works on the instrumentation is the oil pressure

ok..

now tell me,,has there been any work done on the truck lately?are you at the truck now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No there has been no work done to it lately yes I am still driving the truck my only means of transportation

ok..lets try something simple here first..

Remove both battery cables from the battery, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, then re-install them back to the battery

let me know if this fixed the problem

are you there?

if that doesnt work,,i would think you have one of two possible problems..

1-the instrument cluster

2-the ignition switch[the electrical switch itself not the key lock]

either of these could cause this..it is most likely the ignition switch sense i have seen these do this a few times

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry my phone died just got to come back on I will try that as soon as I'm on the road right now soon as I get home I'll be there in 20 minutes I will try what you suggested

ok

let me know how it gos

thanks