Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

I got a rebuilt transmission for my truck and it still doing

Customer Question

I got a rebuilt transmission for my truck and it still doing the same thing it was doing only goes into 2nd gear and will shift into 3rd and when you come to a stop it doesn't automatically down shift have to do it manually so i replaced the pnp switch still the same and then domebody told me to replace the wiring harness to transmission
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Its all new i just installed the transmission 5 days ago
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2000 gmc sierra 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i replaced the pnp switch and then i noticed the plug had been repaired by somebody sticking a wire in it siliconed it in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

did you rbuild your transmission or is this a different transmission all together?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Different rebuilt

ok

tell me,,do you have any trouble with the dash lights,,the gear selector lights or anything like that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sometimes if you are switching it manually up from 1st to 2nd it wont move right away if you move the shift lever alittle it'll light up

does the lights go completely out sometimes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sometimes ill be driving in drive and all shift indicator lights will go off

ok..

the problem isnt the transmission i wouldnt think.

the first thing you need to do is to check the wire harness that plugs into the transmission on the opassenger side of the transmission...

make sure the wiring isnt damaged and connected well

if the wire harness is good and sense the shift indecator does have trouble..

i would think your problem is the ignition switch..not the key lock cylinder but the electrical switch itself

the ignition switch will do this when they go bad

there is a couple of things on the valve body of the transmission that can cause a similer problem,,but i would doubt it being the transmission sense both do the same thing.

the 3-2 downsift solenoid or the pressure switch..

again,,i think your problem is the ignition switch

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would the gas gauge in dash working speratticly and brake lite stays on would this also be connected to the ignition dwitch

yes,,the switch could do that also

thanks