Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

DUPLICATE QUESTION 2003 Audi a4 Quattro 1.8T I have a

Customer Question

THIS IS NOT DUPLICATE QUESTION
2003 Audi a4 Quattro 1.8T
I have a transmission fluid leak that i believe is coming from bell housing/torque converter area. I'd like you assistance assessing the problem, removing the transmission if required, and repairing it or replacing it. I have a 2000 a4 as a parts car. I believe they have the same transmission. My intension from the start was to do this swap, but lets no do what we dont have to.
History. I bought the 2003 and I was told the transmission was bad. After research, I discovered limp mode. I also discovered that the car had a sizable leak. So limp mode could be just low fluid. I dont have a vag com. But I clearly have a leak. So vag com or not, the leak must be rectified. Adding expensive fluid would be a waste.... although if you think it a good test to see if the tranny works afterwards, I will do it. But the leak is significant enough that I feel it would be low with 1-3 days.
The leak occurs only when the car runs. It does not leak when parked. But when it runs, I will get a puddle the circumference of a basketball each day.
I have the car on four level jacks. I cannot test drive it due to limp mode. It will go in reverse, but it will not drive forward. I did switch the TCM from the 2000 into the 2003, and it made a difference. Now it goes into gear... ready to drive. But it shifts into gear kind of hard.... like it had a high idle (which it does not). Besides, I dont totally trust the TCM swap. So I would rather not actually drive it. It was enough to feel it shift into gear to tell me the TCM made a difference in the limp mode. If I switch trannys, I will probably keep the tranny matching TCM.
I am a skilled DIY mechanic with many tools, but no advanced diagnostics. Just a standard UBD2 scanner. If you can provide a document with step by step tranny pulling instructions, I will not likely be hitting you up for step by step guidance. I can find such guidance on the web, but I prefer your involvement.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Here are the directions to remove and install the engine. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/audiRR.pdf

Once you get the trans out you will see the torque converter. You need to check for a worn out bushing that supports the converter, leaks at the converter welds, and the front seal worn out. Each of these could cause the leak, the seal most likely.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did Wolfgang opt out?

It appears he decided not to help since you waited 20 hours for him to respond.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's fine. I'll work with you but that is not what happened. I called just answer this morning and told them to direct this question to Wolfgang. But is fine. Let's work together. Just expect I may be slow to respond because I have two projects. I will get back to you later today after I review what you sent me

Super

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

hello there sorry for the delay on getting back!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will get fastest responses from you between early afternoon and some what past midnight?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What time zone? I am CST

I am on central time. I am online normally 10-2 mid day and 7-3 after dinner

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gracias

Your welcome