Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a 2009 GL 450 am I am being told there is a problem

Customer Question

I have a 2009 GL 450 am I am being told there is a problem in the transfer case. I was told this problem was identified by Mercedes and I may be able to get some assistance on its replacement.
JA: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not fixing my self. It sound like gears slipping. Not sure what to try.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: No fluid leaks that can be seen. approximately 110,000.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I know of.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it feel like the vehicle is hopping or binding when turning sharp at slow speeds?

Has anything been checked or replaced to try and locate or correct this issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does not feel like hopping or binding as such. Just like gears slipping or not engaging properly. Nothing done to try and correct this issues.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Get the same sound the accelerating when turning and sometimes when accelerating from a stop when going straight.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

There is some issues with the chain guide or tensioner in the transfer case that can fail and cause issues similar to this here.I dont see a recall or bulletin on this year on this but in some cases a dealer can contact their rep. on your model and they may be able to get help with coverage for replacement but not in all cases unfortunately.

This is something a dealer would need to look into and contact their rep. on.

If you get the dealer to examine it and diagnose it as the transfer case then you can also contact Mercedes customer support at 1(###) ###-####to see if they can help in the cost for repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete