Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master,(L-1) Certified, Transmission Specialist
10114124

My 2007 jeep wrangler (automatic) gear shifter moves back

Customer Question

my 2007 jeep wrangler (automatic) gear shifter moves back and forth freely but does not engage the gear.....any ideas what to do?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is*****'m a 19 Yr Jeep dealership technician and I will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like you cable is off either at the transmission end or shifter end. I would crawl under the vehicle and see if the transmission linkage is moving when you move the shifter, if it's good there then you will need to check the cable at the shifter... If the cable is damaged it will need to be replaced..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok...thanks
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome!!

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more assistance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Brad...where exactly in the transmission linkage?....Dan
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

Dan if you will look on the drivers side of the transmission you will see the cable and follow it to it connects to the transmission. Have someone move the shifter and see if it moves at the transmission. If not then inspect the cable where it snaps into the linkage.. If the cable is damages it will need to be replaced. If it's attached good but not moving then you will need to check the shifter inside..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad