sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

My 04 Mitsubishi endeavor was getting the shudder around 40

Customer Question

my 04 Mitsubishi endeavor was getting the shudder around 40 mph. Now at 152,000 it has lost 3rd and 4th. I was moving around 40-45 when it just went in to a neutral. Managed to get one mile to home at 4000rpm at 20 or so miles per hour. check engine code reads 4th gear ratio incorrect.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The original issue sounds as if it may have been torque converter shudder.

If it's now freewheeling when it should be in third or fourth that does indicate internal failure. If it were going into limp in then it could be an electrical issue but if it freewheels at a shift point and sets a gear ratio error code then you either have clutch or geartrain damage. The trans would need to be disassembled for inspection to see exactly what has failed and what would be salvageable if you wanted to try to save the unit.