Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have 1997 toyota tacoma. clutch stay still at floor. first

Customer Question

hi i have 1997 toyota tacoma. clutch stay still at floor. first i replace the clutch set and flywheel. it is still the same. i replace the master and slave the sametime, still the same . at last i decided to replace the clutch pedal, all bushing and return spring, still the same please help
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You have air in the system, you need to bleed the air from the clutch system, you could have a leak causing this problem. If you replaced parts a bleed is needed.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

To bleed pump up the clutch pedal and hold it down, loosen bleeder. Do this a few times.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi i replace the clutch set and new pedal and spring and new master first i bleed by pump up the clutch pedal and hold it down, loosen bleeder. Do this a few times. and the new clutch started to fail by leaking oil. next i bough another different brand and bleed as you say and it continuaed to damaged the clutch master by leaking. at last i exchanged another one and bough the vacuum pump from auto zone. and install some bushing around the new pedal . this time half mile of driving , it started pedal stay at floor again. do i need to bleed the air while i didn't see anymore air, please help
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes you have air and need to bleed, air is there from a leak. Check the master, and lines and slave. Look over everything carefully.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi as i continua to bleed air by your method. i mention, if i leak air by pump up the clutch...., no any pressure at clutch pedal. if i bleed air by vacuum pump, ithe pedal has pressure . however after driving for 3 block, the pedal start sticking at the middle, the return not comple , stay at middle, hard to shift and can't shift at all. please help i am very appreciate
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Check for leaks. Sounds like you are getting air in the system over time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would you like to give me a picture for the hydraulic system because they have only master, slave and around 2 feet of the hoses, easily to look through, thk
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

There is no picture in the service manual, but what you are describing is all there is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi dan the autorepair already checked for me that no leaking anything. they solved this problem by install one more small spring as the one at the brake pedal . the spring acceptable is as the brake pedal spring which i already read from the toyota forum about brake pedal stay still. after 2 days, everything is go good now. howerver i don't know why they have to install like that while the clutch pedal didn't have it , thank
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I am glad to hear you were able to get the problem fixed.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks