Marty, Bosch Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch certified master technician. Over 35 years experience.

I have a 1997 C230 automatic, that was running fine last

Customer Question

I have a 1997 C230 automatic, that was running fine last week, when I went to get on the freeway it got stuck in 2nd gear and will not shift into 1st, 3rd, or 4th. It does go into neutral, reverse and park. The transmission was shifting smoothly up until this point, so I am wondering if the transmission is controlled electronically by a computer, or if some kind of electronic component regulates the shifting has gone out?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.
Hi, my name is***** have an electronically controlled transmission. When the transmission gets stuck in 2nd gear (limp home mode) it is usually due to a faulty electronic conductor plate in the transmission. The transmission pan and valve body will need to be removed in order to replace the plate. Estimated cost of this repair is $950. A diagnostic test will need to be performed to confirm the failure.
Let me know if you have any questions. Please don't forget to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.