Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

I have a 2007 classic Chevy 2500 HD 6.6 l with an Allison

Customer Question

I have a 2007 classic Chevy 2500 HD 6.6 l with an Allison 1000###-##-#### that is toast. I have a wrecked 2008 Chevy 2500hd 6.6l Allison 1000(###) ###-####transmission is good. I want to swap them. I have them both out and on the bench, the 2007 has a speed sensor in the bell housing, but the 2008 does not. do you know If I can swap bell housings?, or if there is something different in those transmissions?
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: the sensor works fine. its the transmission I want to swap. just wondering if these transmissions are the same? just different bell housings?
JA: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing myself. the classic trans is toast. want to put the 08 trans in the classic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

You would have to swap the bellhousing to use that transmission. It can be done.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks