sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2008 Mini stuck in park. I have had this problem for the

Customer Question

2008 Mini Cooper stuck in park. I have had this problem for the past few months. On occasions the car is sitting in driveway and when started up a symbol like a "gear and exclamation point" and it will not shift out of PARK. But later in the day it will shift with no problem. I took to a local transmission mechanic and he said no codes showed up on diagnostic. It sits on level ground and can go for a few start and go and no problem. I am lost and in need of further advice.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what kind of advise you seeking with this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Troubleshooting the shifter or transmission.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not received any update in 48 hours?? I know I was in no hurry and I paid the $24 that was required
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?? Is anyone going to answer my question?? This is ???
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have a few things going on and it will take some testing to determine what is happening, a scan tool may be necessary. If you're seeing a warning light then fault codes are setting, but data may also need to be monitored.

Do the brake lights work at the time the shifter will not come out of park?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the reply, I do have a Actron 9575 scanner. This morning I went to start it (which the brake peddle has to be pushed down to start) and it started and the gear wheel alarm was shown. I looked for codes and NO codes was set. I pushed in the shifter trigger and took me about 5 min of wiggling the shifter around to get it to go into gear and then it works perfectly fine Please send more tips as I have the center console removed to look at the shifter assembly.

The Actron 9575 appears to be a generic OBDII code reader rather than a scan tool. You don't have the ability to select individual modules and look at live data, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have used to look at some reading that was like the temperature on O2 sensors

I'm sure you're only able to look at basic engine data. Are you able to pick what module it communicates with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I looked at what I could see and it had several options that I could curser thru but it might not show the transmission stuff, I did take it to a transmissions guy and he hooked up his diagnostic and it had no codes stored, he believed that w wire was loose

Do all brake lamps work?

Do you hear a click from the shifter when pressing the releasing the brake?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry had to go out with family today! OK I checked the break lights when started engine and all brake lights were on and the gear wheel alarm was on display. I should tell you I have replaced the break sensor on the brake peddle. Also made sure to hear the clicking of the switch in the shifter as my foot pressed the brake peddle.

You do hear a click from the shifter when pressing and releasing the pedal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hear it fine

The interlock is trying to work then. Can you remove the shift cable at the shifter and see if the cable will move by hand?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can look and see if its possible for me but I have to do it tomorrow than I will reply back after 5pm

Not a problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, Today the car is shifting fine in the morning and evening, But I did look to see if I can disconnect cable its beyond me. I have noticed that the brake switch is chattering as I push and release the peddle. I am wondering if something was spilled in the shifter and on chance that the switch was sticking??

Yes, it's possible that something was spilled in the shifter or there is a mechanical failure. If it was clicking when pressing and releasing the brake pedal then the interlock should have been working.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for being patience with me, So this morning I got in the Mini and the car would not go into gear and I didn't hear the switch in the shifter clicking.. So is the shifter bad or is there anything I can do to try and free up the switch with WD 40 or a contact cleaner?

The interlock solenoid is what's in question and if it has failed then the shifter is going to need to be replaced. Testing would need to be done at the time it's acting up to know for sure if the shifter was being commanded to unlock. The fact that the transmission warning light has been coming on is concerning, knowing what fault codes are setting there would be helpful.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I just went out there with the intention of seeing how long I have to wiggle the shifter around until it free ups and allows the shifter to go into gear...took me about 2 min of continuous having the break on until the car went into gear. I just push in the top button and wiggled in every direction and than I went into gear. I don't have a scan tool unless Autozone or Advance Auto has them? I guess I could have the transmission guy look at it and tell me the codes but that would take a few days.

Did you ever try moving the cable itself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I looked at it and it looked like it was to much for me to get involved with, I only like to tinker with cars not rebuild them. So i might just have to take it to a local garage and tell them what we have found. I really don't want to spend too much on this as I am looking of trading it off but I have to get it to the dealership first and hope it goes into gear...LOL

The next step will either be to try moving the cable by hand or a scan tool is going to need to be used to see what trans codes are setting and monitor data while the problem is happening.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, It will take me a few days and to figure that out. I will see if anyone has a scan tool or if I can find one on Ebay.

Great!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you recommend a reasonable scan tool for a car hobbyist?

You can try something like auto-enginuity which is a laptop based software, but an actual starts at around $2,000 for an entry level unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, Steve I got my scanner and the code was registered as
EGS: Solinoid valve, shiftlock
DTC Status
Current

That should indicate a failure of the interlock solenoid in the shifter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that would require replacing the shifter? I have another problem with the engine, do I have to start another session for you to get paid or another mechanic?

Yes, that would require replacement of the shifter.

The site does ask that a separate question page be opened for unrelated issues.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, Steve that about does it for the transmission. I'm not sure if I can handle it but I was afraid it was the problem, Thanks for working with me!! Danny

You're welcome and good luck with it!