Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Sounds like one you answered. Engine light on...

Customer Question

Sounds like one you answered. Engine light on... transmission fault message... no apparent leaking fluid... transmission banging into and out of gear... smooth transmission shifting while driving... battery light is also on at low revs... battery had to be jump due to going dead 2006 XK8 Victory Edition 54000 miles.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: No. Have never replaced battery. Are all these problems related to a possible bad battery. How about the rough shifting?
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing at this point. Battery doesn't seem to be holding a charge. If it weren't for the harsh shifting out of and into park, I would fix myself. My first thought it's as sensor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Low voltage due to a weak battery,corroded battery cables or a weak alternator will cause this fault here.This causes the electronics and computers to receive low voltage and in turn they cannot operate the transmission properly.This is a very common fault with low voltage issues.

I would have the cables and connections checked for the cables as well as the battery and alternator tested for any issues needing repaired.One of these will be the cause here and once the voltage issue is corrected the fault codes will most likely need cleared out with a compatible scan tool to turn off the check engine light issue as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete