Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech

I have a 2001 z71. Thewill kick into gear but it feels like

Customer Question

I have a 2001 z71. The*****will kick into gear but it feels like I've got the parking brake on part way. The front and rear tires slip. When you put it back into*****everything sounds good. I thought it was a problem in the transfer case so I change it out . The problem didn't change at all, so, I changed out the front differential , again it did not change a thing. It rides and drives good in*****but when you put it in*****it feels like theparking brake has been pushed down just a little bit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When in*****it also makes a clinking and a clunking sound but I can't feel any thing in the steering wheel , brake pedal or gas pedal
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

what do you mean the front and rear tires slip ?

are all 4 tires the same size ?

is the truck all stock ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I put new tires on before I could even drive it . It did not have tires on it when I bought it. The tires are all the same make, size and the same air pressure. The slipping is the tires on the truck will slip 1 at a time like spinning out on loose gravel the front left will spin , it will stop and the right rear will spin. It only does it for a short distance.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Then it feels like the parking brake is engaged just enough to let me feel it . It feels like it's holding the pickup back all 4 tires . Parking brake pedal is released and in the released position . Pedal is all the way at the top in the released position. When it's in*****it doesn't have this holding back feel it rolls just fine , no resistance.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

if you remove the front drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle will it still do this ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer