Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 99 chevy suburban 5.7L 4wd. The transmission has a

Customer Question

I have a 99 chevy suburban 5.7L 4wd. The transmission has a code for solenoid A faulty. I screwed up and did not service the trany for over 100K miles.............Now it takes off in 2nd and goes to 4th..........the truck has over 223K miles, which transmission goes into it if I can find a used or donor one ? Limited on funds and cannot afford a rebuild quoted at over $2K
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 months ago.

This may be an easy fix. With the transmission only going into 2nd and 4th, you may be able to just replace the shift solenoid. Have you done anything to try to fix this problem? How did the transmission work before you lost 1st and 3rd?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as mentioned, I did not service it for over 100K miles.
on a trip, it quit going into 4th, then switched back to going into 4th.
I took it to a AMOCO to diagnose and test and after 4 days sitting there, they couldn't make it fail and would not change with a positive diagnosis, and did not charge me.
it has had a mild miss/skip going from 2nd into 3rd for yeas
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was advised by numerous mechanics to not just change the fluid and filter because the tiny metal particles in the oil could be keeping it semi-working. told it could actually cause a complete failure, which I have seen on friends vehicles in previous times

That does not matter. This is an electrical problem, not a mechanical problem such as a torn seal, or worn clutches. So it can be fixed for under $150.00- $250.00 if you would like me to walk you through doing the testing and repair.

If you can send me pics I can tell you if it is worth fixing it. But I am 99.9 sure this is an easy fix.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is the phone call an additional $26 over the $31 ?

Let me put in a request to get you a phone call for $16.00 but yes that would be over the $31.00

These charges are for unlimited time as well as phone calls so you only have to pay once till we get the job done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
why not just type then.............I don't mind...........
I have researched changing the solenoid, any funny things to look for ?

The first thing you need to do is check the main plug on the passenger side of the transmission to see if there is any fluid in the plug. YOu will need to remove the side cover on the trans to get to the plug. It is held on by two 10 mm head bolts.

Then we need to do some testing with a digital volt meter to make sure we fix the problem and not just throw parts at it.

I can share a secret with you on where to get your parts for much less than the local parts store or dealer as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, not sure where you are, but it is 11pm on the east coast
I am all for less on parts..................Not much I am going to do tonight and have to work at a regular job tomorrow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have looked and not alot of places carry the solenoids

It is 11 pm here as well. We can work on this when ever you are ready just give me a time and I will make sure I am online.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is your idea on the parts ?
what voltage should I be looking for after removing the cover ?

You can get them over nighted to you from my supplier.

So you do not get confused, I like to walk you through each test step by step. That way you cannot do something that will cause a problem.

The first pic I need to see will be of the pan so I know exactly what trans you have in your truck. it can be a 4l60e, 4l65e, or a 4l80e.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok................that is good possibility....I have a friend looking for a used trany...............there are a lot of numbers on the 4L60E......for different makes...........do you have available a particular part number for this model ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have verified earlier that it is a 4L60E because of the curves and design............unless the 4L65E is identical
I know the 4L80e is a different design

The 60 and 65 are very close where the 80 is totally different.

Most of the 60 and 65s are basically the same, the wire harness and solenoids are the biggest difference. Do you know if you have a bolt on bell housing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I get in contact when I do these tests. I have limited time, as I have a bad shoulder and getting surgery next week. I work everyday and might be out of town next weekend

When you are ready, just post a message to me on this chat screen and we can go from there. DO NOT open a new question.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, don't know about a bolt on the bell housing...............the bell housing would obviously have a few bolts, any specific area ?

If you can send me a pic of the side of the transmission I can tell.

I need to step out for just a little bit. I will be right back.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, will do. will try to do tomorrow night after I get home from work.
so, to contact you, just log into this Just Answer portal and send a message to you ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to logoff, tomorrow comes early for work at 5am

Yes just post on here that you have returned and we can get to work on your truck at your pace.