xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase

Suddenly won't shift into 3rd, 2004 Jeep Liberty, No and

Customer Question

Suddenly won't shift into 3rd
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 2004 Jeep Liberty
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No and nothing. Just happened
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a yellow engine light. Original transmission. May have some leaking. I am not fixing it myself, except if all it needs is transmission fluid. Friends said to check transmission fluid level. Not sure how to do that. I intend to take it to Autozone this evening and have them check. I was literally going to trade it in yesterday but had to leave prior to closing deal. Dealership had already done the Kelley Blue Book value and inspected and drove it. Then I had to leave and on the way home this happened! Ugh... It is drivable at slow speed under 40. But I do not want to drive it too much until I know what the issue is. I will not fix the transmission. It has 205K miles on it. Got it in 9/03. I'm original owner. 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4. This car has been great, mostly just regular maintenance.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

did you get the codes? did you check the fluid?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did get the codes but don't have them with me. There were four codes and 2 of them had something to do with transmission. I have not checked the trans fluid yet. The yellow engine light is still on but my Jeep is running normally again. The guy at Autozone said I could unplug the battery and the light will go away? Is that correct? I just want to trade this in and be done with it.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

or buy a 40 dollar code reader from autozone or harbor freight and they have a clear or erase button